Tax Tips For Bloggers

Share Button

There are only two things certain in life. Death and taxes. Even those who work on cyberspace aren’t immune to either two, and both are just as impartial to their supporters. If you’re a blogger who talks about taxes and Colorado business registration, you’ll still have to pay your taxes, and if you want to not completely flounder about while paying old Uncle Sam, here are some tips.

  • Remember, when in doubt, consult a professional.
    • This one should really go without saying, but the complexities of getting Colorado business registration or just filing tax returns can be difficult to grasp. Which is why, if you’re not sure where to go, ask for professional help. It’s good advice.
  • All income counts.
    • Income isn’t just the money you make from blogging, it also includes any sort of payment or compensation you receive. Trips, corporate sponsorships, commission, freebies, any sort of payment, material, financial or otherwise given to you in exchange for blogging. That’s income, and you need to disclose that when handling taxes.
  • Report income, even if there’s no forms with them.
    • 1099-MISC forms are given to corporate contractors and affiliates, like freelance bloggers, to officially and legally declare that they’ve received income from companies. Regardless of whether or not you get a form like this, any income is still income. I doesn’t need a paper to tell you it’s income, if you get it as payment, it’s income, and needs to be reported.
  • Is there an app for it?
    • Taxes can be complicated. And with technology advancing as it is, there are a lot of tools you can get to expedite the taxation process. So, the answer is here, is a question. “Is there an app for that?” Find one, or an online site to help you, or, at the very least, guide you through the process.
  • Deduct whatever you can.
    • You may be self-employed, but you still can deduct certain things from your tax filings to get the most. Learn what you can deduct, and deduct it when possible.
  • Don’t forget to check how much you actually have to pay.
    • As someone who’s self employed, you have to pay quarterly estimated taxes. That means, 4 times annually, you need to send some money to the IRS since you’re not employed, and have no employer to withhold taxes for you.
Facebook IconYouTube IconTwitter IconVisit Our Blog