When maintaining your car, the tyres are one of the most important parts you should always give time to inspect. It is considered illegal to drive when you know that your tyres are not suitable for the road and it is dangerous at the same time. All of the retailers selling tyres on the Gold Coast know to advice their customers to make sure that tyre maintenance is always conducted. There are five essential things you should know to make sure you are driving safe.
- Tyre Rotation. It is important that your tyres should be moved in different positions to make sure that wear and tear is the same for the four tyres. This is because front tyres are known to handle the heavier weight of the vehicle thus its life span is half as long as the rear tyres. If you want to extend the life of your car tyres, rotating the front and rear tyres every now and then will help. Car manufacturers have different recommendations when it comes to tyre rotations but it should be between 8,000 and 10,000 kilometres.
- Tyre Pressure. This is a critical factor because tyres should have the right inflation in order to avoid damage as well as lessen the chance of the vehicle going out of the driver’s control. If the tyres have low pressure, fuel consumption is higher. The pressure of the tyres should be checked monthly but if you always drive in faraway places the checking should be done more often.
- Tyre Tread Depth. This is responsible in making sure the car does not slip when the road is wet. The minimum tread depth is different in every region thus you should ask your transport department about it.
- Wheel Alignment. This can be easily accomplished by wheel balancing. When all the tyres and axles are in the right alignment, the safety of the car and driver is ensured, tyres do not wear easily and it helps reducing fuel consumption.
- Repair and Replacement. If you have any doubts, take your car to a professional and have it checked. If it needs replacement, you can easily purchase tyres on the Gold Coast as there are many tyre retailers in the area.